Sunday, September 23, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Slow Cooker Soup


 
 
Nothing says a Fall Sunday Afternoon to me like Football on the TV and some good soup (or stew, or chili) simmering in the kitchen. 

I do love using my Dutch oven to make soups, but I also think that the slower cooker is a marvelous invention as I can prepare the food in the morning and then just enjoy it whenever I feel like it later in the day. 

I have tried many recipes for a Loaded Baked Potato soup and after some trial and error; I have come up with my recipe. 

Ingredients:
  • 5 pounds russet potatoes
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 10 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
  • 64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 8 oz of sour cream
  • 15 slices of bacon
  • Scallions
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Directions:

·         Wash (DO NOT PEEL) Potatoes and Dice into cubes (appox ½ inch)
 

·         Dice onion

·         Mince garlic

·         Cook Potatoes, Onion, Garlic, Stock & Salt in Slow Cooker for 6 hours on High
 

·         Cook 15 slices of Bacon (do this however you normally cook bacon) and set aside to cool

·         Chop scallions (green onions) into 1/8 inch pieces
 

·         After 6 hours in the slow cooker is complete, crumble bacon into soup.

·         Add cream cheese and sour cream to slow cooker

·         With an immersion mixer blend together (if you don’t have an immersion mixer, you can transfer to a blender).  Blend until you arrive at the consistency that you desire.  I like it smooth but I know people who like a chunkier potato soup.
 

·         Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions & cheddar cheese to taste

No comments: